Thursday 16 August 2012

Olympic rowing story

Olympic Rowing

  By Toby weston

Bang!! The sound of the starting gun ripped out across the race course like a torpedo and the first oar dipped into the water and out as if it had been stung. And again and again. The Italians had a good start which set them in front a whole metre ahead the other speedy sea craft. NZ was in third. The Italians kept their ground. The NZ craft kept coming, but the English kept their second place. NZ started looking desperate and Hamish and Eric muscle worked harder than any machine in the world. Sweat trickled down their faces like a river. This was their moment. This had been what both of them had been waiting for a long time. This idea sparked that extra power that you always had. The English had slowed down a little so the Kiwis took their chance and to their speed dials up to full. With all their strength they turned to their bronze to silver. 250 metres to go and the Italians still had first place. But they better watch out because the Kiwi boat was sliding like a snake on their port side. The Italians saw it coming and turned their dials up to full speed as well, but it wasn’t enough. The bow of the Kiwis slid in front of the Italians and more and more came past until finally the rowers sat directly across from each other. All four of the rowers were slowing down and getting tired but the Kiwis got in front and crossed the line with the power of believing in yourself. Hamish Bond and Eric Murray had got New Zealand’s first gold medal of London Olympics 2012.


The end

4 comments:

  1. What a superb piece of writing Toby, you really have a way with words. Your opening sentence is stunning, and I particularly liked the simile comparing them to a snake, because I'm sure that creature sums up nicely how the Italians felt about them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toby. What a great account of a rowing race. Makes me think I was back there reliving it all again. I hope that you really enjoyed watching the Olympics and are inspired to pursue your goals and dreams, whatever they may be.

    Cheers,
    Hamish Bond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hamish!

      When I went to check on this blog and I saw your comment, I could not sit still for the next hour. I saw it two days after you wrote it. I am very hounoured to have a comment from a Olympic gold medalist, I congratulate you and Eric on the gold and I am pondering, how did you find my writing?

      Thank you a lot for everything,

      Toby.

      P.s You and Eric are my heroes!!!

      Delete
  3. Excellent writing Toby - and what great recognition to be read and commented on by Hamish! Oarsome stuff - aaarrggghhhhhh - too corny.
    Love
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete