Tuesday 24 July 2012

Kayaking!


           Kayaking!


Crunch! Crunch! The rocks and clay disintegrated like sand-rock under my blue water shoes and turned to dust as I carefully walked down the red, rocky and slippery slope only to slip on the mud at the bottom and make me feel like an idiot, as I awkwardly got up and looked around. Sure I’d been here for my morning run but I hadn’t had the chance to look around.

In front of me was what we would be using…  Kayaks. To my left was a massive forest with more massive pine trees, their dead leaves cover the forest floor like my bedroom, so messy. I almost cried to see that nature was as messy as my bedroom floor, on my right was the raft building supplies.


I was looking at the river when I saw something yellow on a muddy slope. It looked like a kayak that had been crushed between a giant two hands. I asked the instructor Rob what it was and my reply was “it’s a white water kayak” My heart sank and I started to tremble, I quickly asked “There’s rapids in the river” Rob laughed and laughed “only small ones”

We all picked up a paddle and Rob asked us to show him how well we could paddle. I passed and was soon sliding down the muddy slope passing the white water kayak and into the water.

I dipped my hand in and instantly wished I hadn’t. Boy! It was cold with a capital c, o, l and d!

Suddenly I was hit by something at speed and almost tipped over like a boat hit by a torpedo. I soon realized it was Sam Jackson and we both headed of to where Rob said to go to. When we got there we rafted up and waited.

5 minutes later the group was cruising down the river, I was showing of by going backwards until a sharp tug that nearly capsized me I turned around and saw the scariest thing in the world… WHITE WATER. It was tough, but I managed it in the end. All our instructor had said was…”Don’t stop paddling!
Another 5 minutes later we got to the waterfall. The deal with my Mum was, go close to the waterfall and a chocolate bar was mine. So I went about a meter away from the fall but then I hit a rock and panicked. But I paddled backwards and got out just before the water sucked me under the fall. “Well I think that was quite a adventure for one day!”

By Toby weston

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading you recount Toby. Sounded exciting! I agree that the best advice is just to paddle, paddle, paddle! Greta use of alliteration when you said, "red, rocky and slippery slope only to slip on the mud...". I liked your response to Rob saying his was a white water kayak! But remember, when whitewater kayaking, fear is good!

    ReplyDelete